11 Practical Tips for Using a Water Flosser—Tips from Pros!
Dental floss has been around for a long time and is one of the most popular ways to clean between teeth. However, it can be difficult to use and often requires dexterity and strength. Water flossers were created as an alternative to traditional dental floss and offer several advantages. They are easier to use and more comfortable, and many people find them to be more effective at removing plaque and bacteria from teeth.
If you are thinking about switching to a portable water flosser, or have recently purchased one, here are 11 practical tips for using your new appliance:
1. Choose the right model
There are many different types and models of water flossers on the market. It is important to choose one that will be easy for you to use and that fits your needs. If you have braces or other dental appliances, make sure to get a model that can accommodate them and benefit you to teeth and dental care.
While choosing the right model make sure:
- It has adjustable pressure settings. You don’t want the water pressure to be too high as it can damage your gum tissue.
- It has a tip that is comfortable for you to use. Some people prefer a slender tip while others find a wide tip to be more effective.
- It comes with a variety of tips, including a pick and a tongue scraper. These can be helpful for people with dental appliances or who have other special needs.
2. Read the instructions
Once you have chosen the right model, take some time to read the instruction manual. This will help you to understand how to use water flosser properly and what all of the different settings do.
While reading the instructions, mainly focus on:
- How to fill the reservoir: Make sure you use clean, filtered water. If the water is too hot or too cold it can damage the unit.
- How to operate the unit: Become familiar with all of the buttons and settings. Make sure you know how to turn the unit on and off, and how to adjust the pressure.
3. Find the right position
When using a water flosser, you will need to find a comfortable position. Some people like to stand in front of the mirror while others prefer to sit down. Experiment until you find a position that works best for you.
To find the right position try:
- Standing in front of the mirror: This can be a good position for people who are new to using a water flosser. You will be able to see what you are doing and make sure that the tip is positioned correctly.
- Sitting down: This can be a good position for people who have limited mobility or who get tired standing up.
If you are people who need dental cleaning with braces, you would better choose a water flosser, therefore, you needn’t push hard with the traditional string.
4. Aim the tip correctly
Once you have found a comfortable position, it is time to focus on aiming the tip correctly. The tip of the water flosser should be placed just above the gum line and directed towards the space between your teeth.
To aim the tip correctly:
- Start by holding the flosser in one hand and your toothbrush in the other.
- Place the tip of the flosser where the bristles of your toothbrush end.
- Gently move the flosser up and down to clean between your teeth.
5. Use the right amount of pressure
One of the great things about water flossers is that they can be used with different amounts of pressure. If you are new to using a water flosser, start with the lowest setting and increase the pressure as needed. You should never use more pressure than is comfortable for you.
To use the right amount of pressure:
- Start with the lowest setting: This will help you get used to the feeling of the water flosser.
- Increase the pressure as needed: If you find that the low setting is not effective, increase the pressure until you find a setting that works for you.
6. Be gentle with your gums
Can water flosser irritate gums? Even though water flossers are designed to be gentle on the gums, it is important to be careful when using them. Avoid pressing the tip of the flosser too hard against your gums. If your gums start to bleed, you are probably using too much pressure.
To be gentle with your gums:
- Hold the flosser at a 45-degree angle: This will help you to avoid pressing too hard against your gums.
- Gently move the flosser up and down: Avoid scrubbing back and forth as this can irritate your gums.
7. Use a circular motion
When using a water flosser, it is important to use a circular motion. This will help to remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth and gums.
To use a circular motion:
- Hold the flosser at a 45-degree angle.
- Gently move the flosser in a circular motion.
8. Floss all of your teeth
When using a water flosser, it's important to floss before or after mouthwash. Start by flossing the back teeth and then move to the front teeth. Make sure to clean both the inside and outside surfaces of all of your teeth.
9. Don’t forget to brush
Even though water flossers are effective at removing plaque and bacteria, they should not be used as a replacement for brushing. Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day with toothpaste that contains fluoride.
10. Rinse your mouth
After you have finished flossing, it is important to rinse your mouth with water. This will help to remove plaque from teeth or bacteria.
11. Clean the water flosser
How to clean cordless water flosser?It is important to clean your water flosser after each use. remove the tip and flush it with water. Be sure to dry the tip before storing the flosser.
You should also clean the reservoir of your rechargeable water flosser at least once a week. To do this, fill the reservoir with vinegar and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then, rinse the reservoir with water and dry it before using it again.
To conclude, water flossing is a great way to clean your teeth and gums. However, it is important to use the flosser correctly in order to avoid damaging your teeth or gums. Be sure to follow these tips and you will be on your way to flossing plaque like a pro!
In addition, remember to brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Doing so will help to keep your smile healthy and sparkling! Know the benefits of a water flosser, you will be obsessed with it!